Discover Four Filming Locations of Inspector Morse and Lewis!

Many of the attractions to Oxford today are due to the various filming locations of Inspector Morse scattered across the city. Every fan who has either read a book or watched a series or movie based on a book will take up the opportunity of a lifetime to see where all the action unfolded. In Oxford, there are many locations which were used to film the likes of Harry Potter, Downtown Abbey, CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, and several others.

Below, we have selected a few of our favorite Inspector Morse filming locations which you’d love to know about!

Rewley House

The name, Rewley House, originated from a 13th-century monastery in Oxford itself.

The Rewley House was initially a convent school known as St Anne’s Rewley which was built in1873. However, in 1903, the school had been shut down. The Oxford University bought the premises in 1927 to utilize it for adult education services.

The original Rewley building had a common room, lecture room facilities as well as a library. After the university bought it, they built on from the 60s onwards, adding accommodation and dining areas.

Rewley House was used as the filming location for the Inspector Morse TV series episode ‘Girl’.

The King’s Arms

One of the oldest pubs in Oxford, it traces as far back as 1607. The King’s Arms was originally built by Augustine Friars in the 13th-century. It was in the 16th-century in which the city of Oxford took over the land thanks to the Dissolution of Monasteries Act.

Over the years, the pub was used as a hotel, theatre, and coaching inn. In ‘The Dead of Jericho’, Inspector Morse is seen leaving the King’s Arms pub on numerous occasions.

The Sheldonian Quad

This filming location is often referred to as the Sheldonian Theatre which was built in the 17th-century. The University of Oxford sought out the architectural design services of Christopher Wren to recreate the theatre to use it for musical concerts and ceremonies.

In the Inspector Morse TV series, the Sheldonian Quad is often seen in the episode ‘Twilight of the Gods’.

Bodleian Library

This library is one of the oldest libraries throughout Europe and the second largest library in England. The building of the library is not certain.

However, there is suspicion it was built before the 17th-century thanks to Thomas Cobham, Bishop of Worcester. The Bodleian Library had over one million books in 1914. The new design of the library is attributed to Sir Giles Gilbert Scott where he placed 60% of the books underground.

As we can see, the city of Oxford is not just rich in history just because of its famous university. There are countless historical locations throughout the city which feature in the Morse TV series. We are lucky that Colin Dexter, author of the Morse books, made it known to the world just how valuable the city is.